Recreation & Activities
Our director of Recreation & Activities focuses on providing a high level of entertainment and involvement by everyone. Some of our programs include:
Bowling • Game shows • Bingo • Karaoke • Yoga • Wii games • Monthly Birthday parties • Arts & Crafts • Theme events • Holiday parties • Elegant dinners • Religious dinners & events • Health & Wellness activities • Pet visits • Concerts & dancing • And many other exciting events.
Fast Track Program
Our fast track program is designed to maximize your recovery while minimize your time away from home. We know how difficult it is to be out of your element and while we do everything we can to make you as comfortable as possible we still recognize the importance of resuming your regular routine as quickly as possible. Although we cherish the many relationships we have forged over the years, we most look forward to your friendship especially when you visit as a guest.
Our highly skilled and experienced team consists of registered respiratory therapists, licensed nurses, and certified nursing assistants working with occupational therapists, physical therapists, speech therapists, and recreation therapists under the direction of a team of pulmonologists. An individualized comprehensive care plan is developed to address all the needs of the resident with the ultimate goal of ventilator weaning, with attention towards potential discharge when feasible.
Adult Day Care
Friedwald Center’s adult day health care program has proved to be a valuable service to those desiring daily social activity and medical care while still living at home. Adult day care can be a viable alternative to living in a health facility and it allows family members to have someone share the responsibility for care.
Participants include adults of all ages. Rehabilitation therapy, social work services, and counseling in nutrition and medication are provided – and, there is an R. N. clinical nurse specialist on staff. The staff administers medication, provides meals, and assists in personal care and grooming.
Social activity is provided in a friendly environment, supplementing the benefits of living at home. In addition, there are activities such as art, Yoga, Tai Chi and bingo. And, the meals are delicious. Participants start the day enjoying breakfast, consisting of fruit juices, hot or cold cereal and muffins. Hot lunch on a given day might be vegetable soup, oven fried chicken, bread and carrot cake, or optionally, a chef’s salad or tuna platter.
The unit has a self-contained physical therapy unit – a capability especially helpful to those recently discharged from hospitals in need of rehabilitation or long term maintenance therapy.
Speech-Language Pathology Services
Progressive, evidence-based swallowing and communication program for tracheostomy and ventilator- dependent residents, including:
- Passy Muir Speaking Valve © program for residents with tracheostomy (can be done in-line with ventilator), to restore voice, improve secretion management and increase safety of swallowing.
- Vital Stim©, a specialized certification and treatment for swallowing impairments.
- Flexible Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES) offered onsite to objectively assess swallowing and maximize safety of eating by mouth.
- Respiratory Muscle Training program, to strengthen the muscles involved in speaking.
- Specialized experience with tracheostomy and ventilator- dependent residents with dementia.
- High and low-technology augmentative and adaptive communication systems to assist residents in communication while rehabilitating vocal function.